Monday, January 22, 2018

10 Songs To Give You Hope






     I actually compiled this list over two years ago, forgot all about it, and came across it recently. All of the songs below still encourage me, give me hope, and bring about an intense wave of nostalgia. Sometimes music speaks to the depths of your heart in ways that nothing else can reach. I love this list because I feel like it encompasses so many aspects of my childhood, teen years, and early adulthood all rolled into one. I've always been drawn to music that speaks truth. I like songs that are raw, honest, and real. Music can speak life into our soul or it can drain it. I've always admired artists of all genres and spectrums who sing anthems about truth and life. Life is cluttered and chaotic oftentimes, but the truth of that needs to be conveyed. Hope can rise up within us as we respond to the truth and life in songs.

     I pray if you are going through a rough time right now these songs encourage you, too. Also, feel free to share some songs in the comments that bring you hope and have special memories.




1. Swim by Jack’s Mannequin

Its all about “swimming” ahead and keeping your head up, being expectant and hopeful for brighter days and no matter how far we start to sink, we can always pull ourselves back up above the water.

2. Love is On Its Way by The Jonas Brothers

This song holds special and personal significance to me. The Jonas Brothers were my favorite childhood band and their music was with me throughout a lot of changing and challenging seasons. This song is such an encourager! It is written to “young hearts”, as the lyrics say and its all about becoming who you were truly meant to be and even if you’re hurting to always remember that “love is on its way”.

3. Beautiful by Mercy Me

I would listen to this song on repeat in early high school and it always makes me cry because its just so powerful. I struggled a lot with self-worth and body-image in the past and this song is all about being His and understanding your worth in God. It says you are “treasured, sacred, and His and all the lies you’ve held inside so long are nothing in the shadow of the cross.”  I couldn’t resist including it because it has been so healing and freeing for me.


4. Fighter by Jamie Grace

This song is all about people’s individual situations, stories, and struggles. But despite the challenges in their lives, they “throw a fist up, feeling stronger everyday”.

5 You Are More by Tenth Avenue North

This song is all about healing from the past. It talks about being “more than the choices that you’ve made and more than the sum of your past mistakes”. Its about being brand new and not defining yourself by your past and looking confidently toward the future.


6. Save Your Heart by Mayday Parade

This song is especially important in our culture today. We all give little pieces of our heart away as we grow, learn, and go through relationships. The song talks about “saving your heart” for the right relationship.


7. Warrior by Demi Lovato

I get chills every time I listen to this. In this song, Demi is open about all of her insecurities and past issues, but she talks about being a “warrior” and proudly wearing her scars from her past. I think it is an opening for lots of young girls to share their stories confidently, too.

8. Fifteen by Taylor Swift

This song makes you laugh and cry all within 5 seconds. Any girl that has ever been 15 can relate completely. Its kind of a silly little song that confirms that you’re not alone in the world as a teenager and that its okay to feel oddly in between child and adult. She talks about friendship and first heartbreak and it sort of serves as a confirmation for young teenagers that its going to be okay.


9. Souvenirs by Switchfoot

This is a good song to invoke positive memories and recall happy times. It also helps to realize the important people in your life and to enjoy each and everyday and treat it as a “souvenir”


10. Brave by Action Item


Action Item has so many positive and uplifting songs and this one is simple, but powerful. Be brave every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me!